In March, the pioneers of generative AI, OpenAI, introduced their latest marvel, GPT-4. As the newest iteration in the series of large language models, GPT-4 is a significant upgrade from its forerunner, ChatGPT, that created ripples in the AI world.
However, unlike ChatGPT that launched last year and was widely accessible, GPT-4 is not readily available as a free-to-use web application.
What is GPT-4?
If you’re scratching your head, trying to keep up with the rapid sequence of releases, let’s take a moment to trace the roots. OpenAI initiated the release of the GPT language models back in 2018. GPT-3, which was the third edition in the series, was leading the pack in advanced AI models when ChatGPT was rolled out in 2022.
GPT-4 represents the newest and most robust large language model from OpenAI to date. It now supports networking capabilities, as well as hundreds of plugins, and is still being updated. However, those who are using the free version of ChatGPT are still interfacing with the GPT-3 model. To be precise, it’s GPT-3.5 for the tech enthusiasts who want to split hairs.
With this background in place, we will now delve into how you can access GPT-4.
How can I access GPT-4 with ChatGPT Plus?
The first thing to note is that accessing GPT-4 is not as straightforward as using the free version of ChatGPT. To interact with this powerful AI, you need a subscription to ChatGPT Plus.
ChatGPT Plus is a premium subscription service offered by OpenAI. By subscribing to this service, you can unlock a host of enhanced features, including priority access to networking capabilities and hundreds of plugins. The most enticing of these features, of course, is the ability to interact with GPT-4. (Note that there is now an official limit of 25 messages to be sent with ChatGPT4 every 3 hours.)
To sign up for ChatGPT Plus, follow these steps:
1. Visit the OpenAI website and log in to your account.
2. Look for the option ‘Upgrade ChatGPT Plus’.
3. Fill in the payment account information and click on ‘Subscribe’.
4. Once the subscription is successful, the following prompt will be displayed.
5. Once you’ve subscribed to ChatGPT Plus, accessing GPT-4 is as simple as using the ChatGPT interface. You type in your prompts, and the AI, now powered by GPT-4, will respond.
However, remember that the exact functionality might vary based on the development and updates by OpenAI. It’s always a good idea to stay updated with their official announcements for the most accurate information.
How to Access GPT-4 for Free?
As of now, directly accessing GPT-4 for free isn’t an option provided by OpenAI. The advanced capabilities of GPT-4 are only accessible via the premium subscription service, ChatGPT Plus.
However, there are a few roundabout methods where one can interact with GPT-4-like capabilities for free. These methods leverage other platforms that utilize GPT-4 in their offerings.
1. Use ChatGPT 4 for Free on Bing
Bing, the search engine provided by Microsoft, uses GPT-4 to enhance its search results. When you ask Bing a question, it leverages the GPT-4 model to provide a detailed and comprehensive answer. This is not a direct interaction with GPT-4, but it’s a free way to experience its capabilities.
2. Use ChatGPT 4 for Free on POE
POE, an online platform that utilizes AI for generating content, also makes use of GPT-4. Users can utilize its free tier to generate short pieces of content. This allows a glimpse into the capabilities of GPT-4. (Tips: only one message a day is available for free).
It’s worth noting that these free methods do not provide full access to GPT-4. For the complete range of capabilities, one needs to use the subscription-based ChatGPT Plus service.
How to Access the GPT-4 API?
If you’re considering harnessing the power of GPT-4 for business or commercial purposes, there’s a process to follow. OpenAI isn’t just handing out access to the GPT-4 API; you’ll need to get your name on their API waitlist.
OpenAI has expressed its intentions to make the GPT-4 API accessible to everyone eventually. However, there’s a subtle clause that suggests a selective approach during the initial rollout phase.
Here’s what they state:
“During the gradual rollout of GPT-4, we’re prioritizing API access to developers that contribute exceptional model evaluations to OpenAI Evals to learn how we can improve the model for everyone. We are processing requests for the 8K and 32K engines at different rates based on capacity, so you may receive access to them at different times. Researchers studying the societal impact of AI or AI alignment issues can also apply for subsidized access via our Researcher Access Program.”
If you meet the relevant conditions, you can go try to apply for the latest API.
Should You Upgrade to Plus to Access GPT-4?
The million-dollar question remains: Should you take the leap and upgrade to ChatGPT Plus for GPT-4 access? Let’s tackle this from different angles, underpinning each point with real-life scenarios.
- Use Case: The nature of your work or your AI interactions play a crucial role. Suppose you’re a content writer constantly brainstorming catchy headlines or engaging introductions. In that case, GPT-4’s advanced capabilities might make your job easier with more creative suggestions. Similarly, customer service reps dealing with diverse queries could find GPT-4’s nuanced understanding invaluable in providing detailed solutions.
- Budget: ChatGPT Plus is a paid offering, so it’s important to consider the monetary aspect. If you’re a start-up founder developing a product where AI forms a significant part but operating on a shoestring budget, the cost could be a barrier. Weigh the benefits against the expense.
- Performance Expectations: Your satisfaction level with GPT-3 plays a role too. For example, as a translator dealing with complex language pairings, if you often find GPT-3 struggling with nuances and local slang, GPT-4 could offer the extra finesse you need.
- Experimentation: Lastly, your curiosity and willingness to explore new technologies also matter. If you’re an AI enthusiast or a tech blogger keen on reviewing the latest AI models, getting hands-on experience with GPT-4 would be worth the upgrade.
In conclusion, while GPT-4 represents the cutting-edge in AI language models, the decision to upgrade is highly individual. It depends on the nature of your tasks, your budget, your satisfaction with current performance, and your enthusiasm for AI tech exploration. GPT-3 or GPT-3.5 might just meet your needs perfectly well.